Whenever Sydney, Brisbane or any part of Australia comes up in a conversation, I would be reminded of my first ever childhood friend who gave me a koala plush toy, one that I treasure until now. Yes, 22 years later and I still have the lovely little koala and I’ve associated both of them to anything about Australia. It would be nice to see her once again, perhaps take a trip down memory lane or better, somewhere at the land down under. Australia, and Queensland have a lot to offer when it comes to tourism and Brisbane is one of the cities worth visiting this summer. What with its many parks and wharves and the first ever koala sanctuary, it’s a must-see city for the adventurous.
Here are some of the top vacation spots one shouldn’t miss when in Brisbane.Find flights
1. Brisbane Forest Park. A place where waterways meet, Brisbane forest park is home to the Walk-About Wildlife Centre. The centre in turn features Australian wildlife on display at that includes Australian native birds, a platypus, sugar gliders, wallabies, wombats and other animals we wouldn’t see around or in any other parks.
2. The Old Museum Building of Brisbane. Originally called the Exhibition Building and Concert Hall, it was built in 1891. It is home to the Queensland Youth Orchestras, who use the building as a rehearsal, performance and office space. The building is also home for theBrisbane Philharmonic Orchestra, Queensland Youth Choir among other performing groups.
3. City Botanic Gardens. The perfect spot to read a good book or have lunch under cycads, palms, figs and bamboo trees. Don’t be surprised to see brides and grooms brimming with happiness as you stroll around this garden, it’s a favorite wedding venue too.
4. Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary. Wanna hold a real koala? This is the only place for it. The sanctuary began with two koalas called Jack and Jill and now holds kangaroos, Tasmanian devils, wombats, echidnas, and other reptiles as well as kookaburras, emus and cockatoos. This place will be especially enchanting for kids and kids at heart or the animal-love in us all.
5. Kangaroo Point Cliffs. Kangaroos – another lovable creature native to Australia, so popular that a rock climbing area. Try it for yourself or if you ain’t the type then spend some time for barbecue just by the foot of the cliff. 🙂
There are a lot more places that one can explore in Brisbane, that a week would not be enough, with all the scenery, river and those, a cruise should also be in order. Or one can book car hire in brisbane with DriveNow and simply drink in the beauty of the surrounding, the sunsets and take a million photos of the wildlife that is native only to the land down under.