In London there is all that life can afford but in Wales there are all the castles that a history buff or a dedicated traveller can find. With so many activities, beautiful scenery to offer, booking one of the charming holiday cottages in Wales will be worth your while. Wales is just about 2 hours travel from London and its rich, fresh and lush landscape would be an escape from the usual hustle and bustle of the city.
Wales is known for many things and one of which would be the rain that has shaped the hilly countryside and carved the vast amount of valleys. There are also a lot of lakes that have become a basin for the downpours and which has kept the surrounding beautiful green while the beaches pristine. There are hundreds of reasons why Wales is as a good travel destination as all parts of the United Kingdom are – England, Scotland and Ireland and here are some that might convince you to visit Wales.Find flights
1. Visit one of the still-standing 100 castles in Wales. There were about 400 castles (about 100 still standing) in Wales making it rightful to be called the Castle Capital of the World. For example the Caerphilly castle which is considered the biggest castle in Wales and second to Windsor in the whole of Britain.
See the historical castles, churches and other medieval architecture that has comprised Wales that it is today.
2. Experience the only public rack and pinion railway in the United Kingdom, the Snowdon Mountain Railway (SMR) (Welsh: Rheilffordd yr Wyddfa) and see nature’s best work as you go up. This is a real encounter of the Culdee Fell Railway. If you are more of a trekking type then there are routes waiting for you to be able to go up the mountain tops…pick a trek of your choice with the help of enthusiasts.
3. Book a cottage of your choice and explore the nearby scenery. There are a lot of holiday cottages to choose from. Either surrounded by magnificent mountains, a few are a walk away from hidden coves, an almost dreamy house by the coast, or in a lush, peaceful river valley. Wales is as unique as the cottages it offers – choose your natural inclination and pick one and explore the area. Enjoy the landscape, seascape and skyscape that have inspired many great artists and photographers then and today. Photograph the mystic towns and cities of Wales as you please.
4. No holiday is complete without having the local cuisine of the place you visit. Welsh cuisine is famous for lambs and leeks that its national dish the Welsh Cawl (cowl) is thought to contain both when in actuality it is cooked with either salted bacon or beef, along with potatoes, carrots and other seasonal vegetables. Nevertheless, this dish is an awesome addition to your gastronomic adventure.
While at the Caerphilly Castle or the town, get yourself some of the crumbly cheese, Caerphilly. Pose beside the cheese statue too.
Of course don’t forget to take a bite of Welsh cakes and take some home for your mom too! Welsh cakes or bakestones are made from flour, sultanas, raisins, and/or currants, and may also include such spices as cinnamon and nutmeg and are popular snacks there.
5. Sports. There are many popular activities at the national parks in Wales ( Brecon Beacons National Park, Snowdonia National Park and Pembrokeshire Coast National Park) which include hill walking, hiking, canoeing, hang gliding, kayaking and climbing.
Wales has a rich rugby tradition and one can always head to the spectacular Millenium Stadium in Cardiff for a national match to watch even without understanding the game. Wales is also becoming increasingly popular for ‘extreme’ sports, such as surfing, mountain biking and downhill cycling. If you enjoy surfing, try riding the Severn bore too.
6. While at Cardiff, shop to your heart’s content at the Mermaid Quay. The 14,000 sq m waterfront shopping and leisure district was opened in 1999, and includes restaurants, bars, cafes and shops. Mermaid Quay is the perfect contrast of rural Wales. Spend here for clothes and branded items and find the tastiest Glamorgan sausage, Laverbread or Crempogau. Also the perfect place for you to while your night away if you’re not out in the wilds enjoying the starry, night sky.